A Bit About Myself



I started this blog in order to document my trip to Scotland
but shortly after starting the blog I lost my job in a reduction in force.
This blog then served to keep me sane during my 1+ year of unemployment.
I have had a job since August, which I have enjoyed very much but I have missed blogging,
so it is time to start up again.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spring Cleaning for Vino

I use to (full) clean Vino's aquarium once every two weeks.  Then after the snails all died and I started changing the filter more often I have only had to do a full cleaning every other month.  Today was the day to do a big cleaning of his aquarium.  I think the last cleaning was in late January.  When I do a big cleaning Vino has to go into the container I got him in while I clean every plant and grape in the aquarium.

Here is the aquarium sans water and ready for me to clean off the glass sides.


Here is the sink full of everything that goes into his home (the plants have to be real or silk so that they don't hurt his fragile fins, this also means more scrubbing for me).  While he is just one little fish I gave him a 5 gallon aquarium, I read that a Betta fish can live several years if given a larger home and varied diet.


Vino patiently watched from his spot beside the sink.  After nearly two years he has gotten use to this routine.


After I have the inside clean I put all the plants and decor back into his aquarium.  It is pretty colorful.


I keep jugs of water ready for Vino so that they are room temperature and already treated.  It takes more time and planning on my part but it means Vino has to spend less time in the cup.




Once the aquarium is full I get the filters turned back on I add Vino back to his home.  He adjusts quickly and usually is looking for food the second he is back home.


Let me take a second to explain the grapes.  I am very proud of Vino's aquarium because I found decor that would match my wine themed kitchen.  The two smaller grapes are salt and pepper shakers that now have bubble stones inside them.  The large grape is one of those containers that sits on the edge of the sink for sponges to go into.  It is open at the back but the snails are about the only things that hung out in there, Vino hides behind the plants or spends most his time in his floating log.



The very last thing I do to his aquarium is update the window clings to the outside of the aquarium.  I have different ones for every holiday and bought some Spring ones on sale the other day.  I think it gives Vino something different to look at during the day. 



~~~FYI it took 3 hours to write this blog post all because blog spot is killer slow today.  It is so annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment