A Bit About Myself



I started this blog in order to document my trip to Scotland
but shortly after starting the blog I lost my job in a reduction in force.
This blog then served to keep me sane during my 1+ year of unemployment.
I have had a job since August, which I have enjoyed very much but I have missed blogging,
so it is time to start up again.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Festival Weekend

This weekend was one of the local festivals that takes place on the square.  I have been to the festival the last two years and had been thinking of attending this year as well.  However all thoughts of the festival clouded over when I decided I wanted to spend some time writing instead.  I was almost at the street I turn onto to get to the library when it hit why the park and streets were all more busy than normal.  I found a back way to get to the library and by the grace of God I found a parking spot in the library parking lot.   

I expected there to be lots of people in the library and I was a little worried I would not be able to find a empty desk but while there was tons going on outside the library was relatively quiet.  I checked out all the student art work, grabbed a new Star magazine, and then headed to my writing spot.  The spot I love to write in is in between the stacks, but today it was teen central.  I guess a few teens were hanging out in the library while friends and family checked out the festival.  I ended up at desk near some college students, which is always nice since they are very quiet. 

I read my magazine first and found this tweet from Ellen very funny at the end of the magazine.  The world we live in today where a babies name reflects what is popular at the time.  Last year it was Bella and Cullen and now it is Rue.  **I like the Nathan Fillion quote as well.


I managed to write for two hours and complete two lessons from the book I have been working through.  The lessons for today were on learning to express your true feelings, even the negative ones.  It is something that is going to be EXTREMELY difficult for me.  I have worked hard for years to never show negative emotions.  The second lesson was learning to live with solitude and how important solitude really is for people.  The point she made at the end that when you are single is one of the only times in your life when you can truly enjoy solitude made a good point.   Some time in the future I will have a husband, kids, and hopefully my dream job and alone time is going to be very difficult to find, I should utilize my time while I have it.  She encourages you to practice now by doing down times or days where you don't turn on music or the TV and you cannot write or read.  She pretty much wants you to sit a listen to your thoughts.  I plan to start carving out some of that time now. 

This was what my spot looked like while I was working.  I had a sculpture in front of me titled "Sleeping", it was a beautiful sculpture but it was making me pretty sleepy as well.


The last couple of times I have written in my journal I have been pretty sure I would run out of ink and need to get a new pen.  I write several pages at a time and I have had this pen for several years (it is my journal pen, because it always writes).  The black at the tip is all the ink left in the pen and it is still going strong.  Maybe the next time will be when I finally trade out pens.

No comments:

Post a Comment