A Bit About Myself



I started this blog in order to document my trip to Scotland
but shortly after starting the blog I lost my job in a reduction in force.
This blog then served to keep me sane during my 1+ year of unemployment.
I have had a job since August, which I have enjoyed very much but I have missed blogging,
so it is time to start up again.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Doing Chores on a Whim

Today I lived my day on a whim.  It all started last night when I went out to mow the lawn at the last minute and then part way through decided I would rather walk the dogs instead.  This morning I got up and planned to get to work on finishing painting but I changed my mind and took the dogs for a walk instead.  They enjoyed the walk and got to meet some cute kids.  When I got home I made my lunch and then while I sitting in the living room eating I looked at my two bookshelves.  One sits in the kitchen and the other sits behind the couch.  The bookshelf in the kitchen has always been too tall and blocks the light switch.  The book shelf behind the couch at always been a bit off center because of the main bookshelf, mini bookshelves, and two cheese boxes.  I figured it was not a huge deal to move them and if after a couple of days I hated it, it was easy enough to fix.

So far I really like it.  There were more things in the living room and the bigger bookshelf works better there and in the kitchen I can now get to the switches.  I cannot believe it took two years to figure out this works better.




After getting this done I found out that I was not needed for babysitting this evening but I had errands I planned to to take care of anyway.  I started at the library where the book I had been waiting two months for was finally waiting for me.  I then took the time to write in my journal, before heading to the store. 

I also picked up the seeds to plant some new herbs.  Last year I experimented with having Basil, Mint, and Rosemary on my front porch.  All three of them were dead by the end of summer.  Inside I had started Basil by seed and it lasted all winter and is still doing pretty good. 




So this year when I came across two window type pots I decided to try my hand at growing a couple of other herbs by seed and have them also remain inside plants.  I am going to try Cilantro, Mint, Oregano, Chives, Catnip, and I have more Basil should this one start to die.

Tonight I planted the Cilantro and Chives in this container.



I planted Catnip in one of these last night and tonight I planted Oregano in another.  I still need to find Mint seeds.



While at Hobby Lobby I spotted some kind of realistic lizards.  I have heard that if you put a fake lizard, snake, or frog in a pot it will keep a live one from living there.  Since it was only $2.00 I decided to give it a try, the lizards always jump out a scare me.  So far I don't think any have taken up residence in the pots.


After I got home, I decided I still had enough light, so I would clean my grill.  I always do a big grill cleaning in the Spring and Fall.  It went a lot faster this time, but I have been doing a better job at keeping it clean in between cleaning.


To celebrate that the grill is clean I prepared my favorite marinade and put it on Chicken for tomorrow.


It is almost time for bed and I am excited by everything I got done today without planning to do any of it.  Living the day on a whim seems to have worked for my today.  I know I won't be able to do this everyday, but I think it is fun to do when I get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment