A Bit About Myself



I started this blog in order to document my trip to Scotland
but shortly after starting the blog I lost my job in a reduction in force.
This blog then served to keep me sane during my 1+ year of unemployment.
I have had a job since August, which I have enjoyed very much but I have missed blogging,
so it is time to start up again.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Looking back

I couple of years ago I lived in a town where it seemed like the entire town was against me living there.   I had to move quickly and ended up moving the day before I started work and then living in a hotel for a few days while the utilities were being turned on in my house.   It got worse when my schedule for the school was all messed up and for several weeks I had a missing class in my schedule.  I also ended up being a traveling teacher with three classrooms and none of those were mine.  I ended up storing my cart in three different classrooms throughout the school year. 

 Next I had my house broken into right before Thanksgiving.  I had been out at a event to prevent child abuse and when I came home my cat and Vegas were acting weird.  I then noticed a broken window in my office and my laptop and two cameras were missing.  Luckily the robber did not appear to get farther than my office (it is believed Vegas may have scared him off).  I got all my stuff back because I remembered a kid hanging out in the vacant house next door but I was still extremely paranoid for months afterwards (the paranoia from something like that never really goes away). 

Next while teaching one afternoon I had my cell phone stolen and the students that stole it texted people on my list horrible mean texts.  Luckily since they did not know what people looked like they made assumptions that proved I had not sent the messages.  I had also gotten cell insurance thinking it was likely that my cell may be stolen at some point, so I quickly had a new phone.

After that happened we were getting ready for contest and the stress got so bad that my shoulder began to hurt on a daily basis.  The pain would start in my shoulder and eventually even the tips of my fingers would hurt.  I spoke to my doctor about it and we never could figure out anything else that was triggering the pain.

After contest we had testing and then would find out if we were one of the 16 teachers being placed in a substitute pool.  I ended up one of the 16 teachers. 

 My plan was to find a job in the area and continue renting my house since I was really not prepared for another move (I had moved only the year before).  However I had not anticipated the house's owner wanting to move back  and I would have to move out at the end of my lease. 

When I left this town I was of the opinion that I would never look back because it pretty much felt like the town was doing everything in its power to kick me out.

During the last couple of months I have been doing these lessons that have helped me move past any bitter feelings I have had from pretty much any moment in the past.  Living in this town was full of negative memories and I really needed to move past it, after all I left nearly three years ago. 

I have been back to the town twice this year for interviews, but that has been it since I moved.  You may think it is normal to leave a town behind but the first place I lived (after college) I have gone back to visit more times than I can count (I really loved living there), in fact I had a interview this past week and visited that area again.

I knew I needed to visit the town again of my own free will and just let go of the past, so that I can move on to the glorious future I know is waiting for me, so today I went back.  I visited a couple of places I use to spend my free time at and had a really good day.  It is amazing that after three years of being away I could still find my way around easily.  I was able to focus more on the positives of living there, than of the negatives.

I feel lighter than I have in a long time.  The bitter feelings and thoughts of the past are gone and I am really ready to move on and see what my future holds.


No comments:

Post a Comment